ICS is the management system for disaster and SAR missions. There are five main management concepts that they have.
- Unity of Command-Recognized chain of command so that everyone knows who they are working for, and who is working for you.
- Common Technology-Standard code words
- Management by Objective-Everyone works toward the objective
- Flexible and Modular Organization-Operation can grow and diminish without disrupting the mission.
- Span of Control-No one manages more than seven people at a time
Here is the chain of command on a chart:
Did you know that ICS was developed in the 1970’s following a bunch of catastrophic fires in southern California? There was millions of dollars in damage, and a lot of people were died or were injured.